- “LBWD” refers to the Long Beach Water Department.
- “Parkway” refers to the area of grass in the right of way between the sidewalk and street curb.
- Property Owner may only apply for one Parkway voucher per water account.
- Only one Parkway Program application may be approved per water account.
“Property Owner” is the owner of the adjoining the public right-of-way that is responsible to plant, install and maintain landscaping in the area between the curb and the private property line for the entire frontage of the property.
- In the case when the property is owned by a corporation, “Property Owner” shall be the individual legally acting on behalf of the owner of the property. LBWD reserves the right to verify property ownership.
Terms and Conditions (Native Plant Parkways)
- “Re-landscaped Area” refers to the parkway area, in square feet, which qualifies for and for which LBWD will authorize the release of a voucher for. The Re-landscaped Area:
- Only includes areas covered by living turf grass; the grass must be living at the time LBWD inspects the Re-Landscaped Area. (Do not kill your lawn until your landscape been inspected and approved by LBWD). Pre-existing projects are not eligible to receive a voucher through the Parkway Program.
- Must be on a property whose water service is provided by LBWD.
- If, in its sole discretion, LBWD finds the re-landscaped area has not been properly maintained or if the landscape has been altered significantly from the approved design (for example: if turf grass is reintroduced), Property Owner, if he/she has not sold the property by that time, shall reimburse LBWD for the value for the value of the Parkway Kit Voucher as follows:100% reimbursement if finding made in first 365-day period after payment; 80% reimbursement if finding made within 2nd 365-day period after payment; 60% if finding made within 3rd 365-day period after payment; 40% if finding made within 4th 365-day period after payment; and 20% if finding made within 5th 365-day period after payment.
- Applications will be approved for voucher release in the order in which property owners notify LBWD that turf removal has been completed.
- The owner of the water account irrigating the area must stay current on its City of Long Beach utility bill from the time of the application through the completion of the project and cannot be in violation of any LBWD water-use prohibitions during that period.
- Property Owner must sign and submit the Parkway Program application.
- Property Owner has sole responsibility for complying with all applicable laws, permits, ordinances, codes, policies, covenants, and conditions that may apply to performance of the lawn removal/landscape conversion project. For City of Long Beach building and permit information call (562) 570-6651. Those properties in historic districts may require special permits from the City and these permits are the sole responsibility of the Property Owner.
- Property Owner has sole responsibility for the quality, appearance, and maintenance of the parkway landscape.
- Property Owner shall make the property available to LBWD and/or its agents, in order (1) for LBWD to verify compliance with the Parkway Program, including but not limited to: the condition of the landscape prior to and after the parkway installation, the size (in square-feet) of the parkway landscape area, the efficiency of the new irrigation system; and (2) for LBWD to exercise its rights under the Parkway Program to use the descriptions of the landscaped area, and before- and after-photos and videos of it, for the purpose of promoting drought tolerant landscapes.
- Any application containing inaccurate or misleading information will be disqualified from the Parkway Program and any and all commitments made by LBWD related to that application, including commitments for redeemable plant vouchers, shall be automatically rescinded and rendered null and void.
- Property Owner is limited to one Parkway application per water account; If a person/company owns multiple properties, a maximum of five (5) approved Parkway program applications will be eligible; for example, a company owning 30 properties with 90 different water accounts may receive approval for a maximum of five applications (one each for 5 water accounts).
- Property Owner, if submitting the Parkway Program application on-line, may be required by LBWD as a condition of receiving the incentive payment to sign a paper copy of the Application within two (2) weeks of being notified of having been approved, provided LBWD makes that paper application available to them.
- Property Owner agrees to waive, release, relinquish and discharge LBWD, its officials and employees from all liability, loss, claims, demands, causes of action, and damage arising out of Property Owner’s participation in this Program.
Long Beach Water Department (LBWD)
- Shall have the right to use the design of the re-landscaped Area as well as before- and after-photos and videos of it, for the purpose of promoting drought tolerant landscapes. This promotion could be in the form of videos, print, web, or other venues.
- Shall have sole authority to resolve all disputes related to the Parkway Program, approval of applications, approval of landscape designs, and all other related matters relevant to the Parkway Program.
- Certain information related to rebate and incentive payments made by LBWD to customers and contractors may be subject to the California Public Records Act. Information such as the name and address of applicants and the amount of the rebate or incentive received will be public information should a Public Records Act request for it be made.
Long Beach Water Department
1800 E Wardlow Rd.
Long Beach, CA 90807